Saturday, March 5, 2011

Crystal Renn puts weight battle behind her in stunning swimwear shoot for J Crew

She's been anorexic, plus-size and everything in-between. But weight seemed to be the last thing on Crystal Renn's mind in a new campaign modelling swimwear for J Crew. Looking slim but healthy, the supermodel, 24, appears in the chain's spring catalogue, posing in a range of Fifties-inspired one-pieces and printed bikini bottoms. And unlike much of her portfolio, she is seen smiling and laughing in the photographs - as well one might if they looked that good on the beach.
























Crystal Renn is pictured smiling and laughing in the new J Crew swimwear catalogue



Her U.S. Size 8 figure is far more representative of J Crew's customer than the straight-size models it has used in previous campaigns. And the retro garments themselves should prove popular with curvier shoppers with flattering vertical stripes, ruched bandeau tops and sexy exposed underwires.
Playful polka dots and Hawaiian-inspired florals feature among the prints, while wide-brimmed sunhats and tortoiseshell sunglasses complete the summery looks. It is just one of a number of high-profile jobs Miss Renn has done recently. The model is also the face of Jimmy Choo and Jean Paul Gaultier, and has walked on the catwalk for Chanel and Zac Posen.
























The Fifties-inspired collection should prove popular with curvier shoppers, thanks to flattering vertical stripes, sexy exposed underwires and playful Hawaiian florals



Her success indicates that this is a weight that she is comfortable with - and the fashion industry can't get enough of her. But the reaction to her newly slim physique was not without controversy. Miss Renn faced a storm of criticism when she shed her plus-size curves last year. Speaking on a video blog last month for the Ford modelling agency which represents her, she said that she would have had to develop a binge-eating problem in order to stay as she was.

She said: 'I think that by placing a title on my head - which is plus size - and the picture that people have placed in their mind about what plus size is - I'll basically fail you just with that. Because I couldn't possibly live up to that. 'And at this point in my life, I would actually have to have another eating disorder to live up to that expectation.'






















Miss Renn as a plus-size model back in September 2009 (left), and looking slender almost exactly a year later on the catwalk for Zac Posen (right)



She continued to talk about the pressures that caused her to have anorexia when she first started modelling at the age of 14 after she was spotted by a model scout in her hometown of Clinton, Mississippi.





Crystal Renn became anorexic when she first started modelling as a teenager



She developed an eating disorder that saw her become addicted to exercise, working out for up to eight hours a day. 'I had anorexia because ultimately, someone else set the standard for me and I wanted to follow it,' she explained. In an interview late last year, she said that the break-up of her marriage to husband Gregory Vrecenak had contributed to her decision to embrace a more healthy lifestyle, and a combination of hiking and yoga had helped the weight drop off.

She told New York Magazine that her current routine was far from rigorous. 'I think I probably have a good relationship with the exercise that I do do,' she said. 'I’m taking care. I’m just in a really good place. I do hiking. I do yoga, but nothing crazy, just in my house. It brings me peace.'Miss Renn hit headlines last year when her image was heavily retouched in an advertising campaign. She admitted she was furious after seeing that photographer Nicholas Routzen had digitally slimmed her body in the Fashion for Passion campaign, prompting speculation that she had lost weight.

'I understand a certain amount of retouching - if there's a zit or you want to smooth things out - but to change my body completely, that's not what I'm about and that's not the message I want to give,' she said at the time. 'I don't want young women to think being thin is the only way to be beautiful. Beauty is not a pant size. I'm known for my body and I'm proud of my body.'

No comments:

Post a Comment